Monday, July 27, 2009

HAPPY 70th ANNIVERSARY!

My Poppop and Grandma just celebrated their 70th Wedding Anniversary. They live in Shalimar, Florida, so I wanted to paint them a special little mini beach scene. The beaches of the Florida panhandle are quite a bit different from Hawaiian beaches, but every bit as beautiful. There are long flowing sea oats that wave about in the offshore breeze, "white as snow" sand dunes (as opposed to our tan colored coarse crushed coral sand here in the Islands), and the water is a different shade of blue green. I had a bit of trouble at first trying to keep my Hawaii influence out of the scene, but eventually, it started to resemble the beautiful beaches that line the Destin area.

This painting was done on a 4" x 4" mini canvas with the sides painted, as well. I added in a small section of practically buried "sand dune" fence, which is typically seen along these coastlines (used as a measure to try and help preserve the disappearing dunes), a pair of happy sea gulls - which believe it or not, we don't really have here in Hawaii, and a subtle "70" shadow on the sand to personalize the painting just for them.

I can only hope that one day I will be so lucky as to be celebrating my 70th Wedding Anniversary with the man that I love. My Grandparents are very special to me, and I wish they didn't live so far away.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY POPPOP AND GRANDMA!


LisaBongZee's Island Dream Life Website

No comments: