Saturday, January 23, 2010

TROPICAL Z's


My Grandparents both turned 90 this past year. They have been married for 70 wonderful years now, and they are truly meant to be. Grandma can say to Poppop “Hey hun, can you bring me the wha-cha-ma-call-it ?” and Poppop knows exactly what she is talking about.

I love them both very much and talk to them on the phone almost every week. The problem is, they live in Florida, and I live in Hawaii. I don’t get to see them nearly as much as I’d like. Travel is a very LONG (and not too fun) event, and unfortunately, they haven’t been back to Hawaii for many years now, as it is just too much for them to be able to travel such a distance anymore.

Since they can’t come to Hawaii, I wanted to bring Hawaii to them in some way. I decided to paint “Tropical Z’s”. It is a portrait of their home, but placed in a tropical Hawaiian setting. It’s like they are living here in Hawaii with us!



It was really fun to paint their house, and add in all the beautiful tropical plants that we find here in the Islands. Coconut palms, Bird~Of~Paradise, Red Ginger, Hibiscus, Ti Leaf, just to name a few. Of course, I did have to leave Grandma’s Sunflowers near the front porch. So, they may not be quite “tropical”, it wouldn’t be Grandma Z’s house without the bright cheery sunflowers that always welcome us to their home!


Mahalo (Thank You) for taking the time to view my artwork.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII!!!


LisaBongZee's Island Dream Life Website

3 comments:

ArtSnark said...

what a fantastic idea! & belated happy birthdays to them both

Valerie said...

I love this idea!
My grandparents are all gone now but I wish they were around because now that I'm "grown up" there is so much I'd want to ask them.
I live in Eastern WA (think desert) and I wish I had palm trees in my yard!!
Glad our "favorite things" lists would be similar-and I'm glad we are bloggy friends:)

Lily Pang said...

Your grandparents must be the happiest person in the world. I guess one of the secretes maybe of the love that you and others gave such as the beautiful house painting.