Sunday, April 11, 2010

ANOTHER UNUSUAL FLOWER


Last week, while driving through the sleepy little town of Waimanalo, I happened to be stuck in a bit of traffic and had a chance to look around more than usual.
As I was passing "Glenn's Flowers & Plants", a cute little nursery right on the outskirts of Waimanalo - or "NaloTown" as it is locally called, a beautiful teal blue color caught my eye. I then noticed that it was a cluster of flowers hanging from a vine-like plant, completely covering a trellis that was set up in the center of the nursery. This flower color was SO UNUSUAL, I thought it must be fake. I had to go and take a closer look.

They were real! They were beautiful in color, a deep rich aqua~blue. But the shape of these flowers was every bit as unusual as their color, and also a bit "threatening". They resembled a huge birds talons and almost gave me a creepy feeling, despite their gorgeous (and my all time FAVORITE) color.

The person working there informed me that this was the
JADE VINE.
It is a native to the Philippines and grows deep in the rain forest there. She told me they have none for sale, and here in Hawaii, they are hard to propagate, and hard to grow.
Oh well... I don't really have any room for such a large hanging vine like this anyways, but it sure made my day to see unusual blue~green flowers like this. And by the time I was ready to leave, their fierce claw-shape didn't seem to offend me any longer.

The flowers can be used to make beautiful Hawaiian Leis.
If you are ever in Waimanalo, be sure to check out this gorgeous plant at Glenn's (unfortunately they do not have a website at this time, but if you ask around, anyone in Waimanalo should be able to tell you where to find it).

If you are interested in other sites of Waimanalo,
click HERE: SUPERBRY BITES WAIMANALO

My little yorkie, Brighton, will be happy to show you around "NaloTown"!

ALOHA FROM HAWAII !!!


LisaBongZee's Island Dream Life Website

4 comments:

Felicia Kramer said...

Unusual is right! But that color - that color is gorgeous!! I might put this little town on my list. :)

Sew it my way! said...

An intriguing plant! This was a great find while out and about. The flower looks like it may be related to the bird of paridise or the haleconia with it's meaty flesh! I would be in awe seeing it in person! Thanks for sharing!

Annette said...

How beautiful! And how fun for you to find something like this unexpectedly!

Valerie said...

I miss seeing all the beautiful flowers that grow everywhere! I miss wearing shorts. I miss sleeping with all the windows open and breathing the fresh tropical air all night. I miss the coconut shrimp!!

Your pictures are postcard perfect too!


Willow wants to move to Hawaii...she says you were absolutely right about her wanting a cool Aloha shirt, and she is refusing to leave her bed until I make one! (Know where I can find a pattern?)