Friday, January 27, 2012

KAUAI a' la Plein Air !


This post is a little late, but I just came across these pics and thought it would be fun to include them in my blog.

Last June, we got to visit the island of Kauai.
I had recently been introduced to plein air painting and thought this trip would be a wonderful way to gain more experience in my new endeavor. Kauai is such a beautiful place, so tropical and green. Who wouldn’t want to be outdoors, soaking it all in?

My first stop was actually a place along the side of the road between Anini Beach and Kalihiwai Bay. From this point, there was a view of the Kileaua Lighthouse in the far background, and beautiful rugged cliffs skirting the coast.

We had to scramble down a few large boulders to reach a small sandy area, but since this was not an actual beach park, we had the place to ourselves for the afternoon.

Luckily, the tide was out, but by the time I finished this painting, we had just minutes to pack up and scurry back up the rocky jetty before the incoming tide washed me and my paints away!


SOLD
Kalihiwai Bay/Anini Beach w/ Kileaua Lighthouse
Painted June 6, 2011


Two days later, we woke up early and headed out looking for something interesting to paint. As we drove past Nawilili Harbor, I found a scene that caught my eye.
This was the view from the 7th hole of the golf course at the Kauai Marriott.

I was allowed to set up my easel in the turn-around area for the golf carts. It was a perfect, peaceful place to paint, and not too crowded, just the occasional golfers.

In the tree above me was an adorable White Rumped Shama Thrush ! Have you heard these birds sing? It is the most beautiful sound, (they are definitely one of my favorite singing birds in the Islands), and I was so thrilled to have him there belting out melody after melody as I painted!
O.K, so this is not the most appealing photo of our beautiful Shama (poor gecko) but he did sound lovely when he wasn't busy regurgitating a meal for his babies in the nest above us!


SOLD
Nawiliwili Harbor from the 7th hole, Kauai Marriott
Painted June 8, 2011



After another few days, we decided to drive up north to
Hanalei Bay. We got there early and pretty much had the place to ourselves. It was kind of cold and rainy but it was still beautiful in the early morning mist.

I set up my easel right next to the car. Talk about convenience! This is a plein air painters dream! Not having to lug everything to your desired location, and Brighton got to hang out in the rental car comfortably, as the morning was quite chilly. He seemed to enjoy watching me paint.
"Hurry up and finish, Mom, so we can go SURF!"


I did end up getting blasted by two major downpours during this painting episode, but luckily, I had remembered to pack a large umbrella which saved the day! The showers passed as quickly as they came, and I painted on with no damage done!


SOLD
Hanalei Pier
Painted June 10, 2011


Hanalei Bay is such a gorgeous place, it feels almost magical. I wish we could have spent more time there. When we returned home and I took a good look at my Hanalei plein air, I could remember the exact feelings I had while painting this scene. It inspired me to do a palette knife painting using this piece as my inspiration --- and inspire me, it did. To this day, the Hanalei palette knife painting that I did after we returned is one of my favorites!
SOLD
"Misty~cal Morning At Hanalei Bay, KAUAI"
11x14 palette knife painting


I hope you have enjoyed my Kauai plein air adventures. Although I have just started, I am completely hooked on plein air. I will be posting more of my “outings” when I can find the time. Until then, I will be out and about, searching for more gorgeous sites to put on canvas. It’s not too difficult to do when you live in Paradise!!

Mahalo for taking the time to view my artwork.
ALOHA FROM HAWAII !


LisaBongZee's Island Dream Life Website

3 comments:

ArtSnark said...

Great post! Love the photos & paintings - nice work

Valerie said...

This was a great post! Thanks for taking us along on your trip-the scenery is gorgeous, and I love your paintings too! The daddy bird feeding his babies would have been very interesting to see. Occasionally we have an owl hang out in one of our maple trees and we find owl pellets on the ground.

I love your apron, by the way!

Patricia Lee Christensen said...

What an exhilarating thrill! Your photos capture a wonderful adventure and your paintings turned out super! Looking at them, you can tell the artist was really there! Most excellent post!