Friday, February 17, 2012

Whale Of A Tail on Maui


I found out a few weeks ago that the
2012 Maui Plein Air Invitational
was coming up.

It is a week long plein air painting event that takes place in several different locations across Maui island. Dean and I really wanted to go and watch, as we know several of the artists that will be painting in this event.
(any excuse to go to Maui will work for me!)

We were so excited, and the thought of getting to take Brighton along with us again made it extra special. He loves Maui. We have had to postpone our Utah snowboarding vacations for the past two years now, which has been a real bummer, so any little “spur-of-the-moment” trip – even if it is to just another Hawaiian Island, helps to make our non-snowboarding winters a little easier to take.

I spent all day looking up condos and rental cars and couldn’t believe I was having no luck at all. EVERYTHING was booked, something must be wrong. How could there be no place? I finally ended up calling two different travel agents to see what they could come up with and they both said the same thing. Most places are booked solid until April! They explained that Maui is having a very good year, and that it is the height of whale watching season, so unless we wanted to spend around $600 a night (yeah right), everywhere was filled.

What a major disappointment, but also a good lesson. Next time we will have to plan much earlier.

Good luck to all the artists competing in the Invitational.
I hope the whale watchers have a nice time on Maui.

SOLD
“Whale Of A Tail” is a mini 4x4 oil painting and comes with a cute bamboo easel.


Mahalo for taking the time to view my artwork!

ALOHA FROM HAWAII !!!


LisaBongZee's Island Dream Life Website

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Lisa, I'm sorry you couldn't find a place to stay. How frustrating! You should think about competing yourself next year. I think you would do awesome!