Tuesday, October 16, 2012

MY FIRST PAINT OUT

Last weekend I participated in my first “Plein Air Paint Out”.
The rules were to paint a scene anywhere on the windward side of Oahu in the morning, and bring your painting to the
“Cool Kailua Nights WAG booth” for judging in the afternoon.

The only goal I had in mind was to complete a plein air painting that I was happy enough with to turn in to the event. I picked a spot near the entrance to Lanikai with a great view of the Mokulua’s and some interesting tidepools.

Below me, a young boy and his Dad were fishing from the rock ledge. You could tell that the boy was trying his hardest to catch a fish before his Dad did. I decided to include them in the scene. While I painted, the boy did catch a colorful little reef fish and did a good job of letting everyone around know that HE caught the first fish!

I finished up my painting and was satisfied with it.
I named it "Beat Dad To The Big One".
SOLD

There were so many beautiful paintings created that morning.
I was happy to just be able to be a part of it.


As the juror read off the winners, I gasped!
“Beat Dad To The Big One” took first place!
In the words of Clark W. Griswold
"If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet,
I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now."


And if that weren’t more than enough already, my painting sold that same day!

Much Mahalo to juror (and one of Hawaii’s top plein air painters), Mark Brown, for donating his time to help set up and judge this event. Also, thanks to all the great staff of the Windward Artist’s Guild for creating these paint outs and helping to promote the arts in Hawaii.


What a wonderful experience and great motivation to keep on plein air painting!

Mahalo for taking the time to view my artwork.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII !


Lisabongzee's Island Dream Life Website

3 comments:

Felicia Kramer said...

Wow - I would say that was a good day, Lisa! Congratulations!

Jim Serrett said...

Congratulations
What a cool event and great work.

Valerie said...

Lisa-that is SO COOL!!! Though I'm not surprised. You are an amazingly gifted artist, after all!

Head sewn to the carpet...sounds like something I'd do;)

Congrats!! I'm proud of you!